Doctoral Student Status Policy (ABD/ABS)
All But Dissertation, ABD/ABS status is intended for students whose only remaining requirements are the completion and defense of their thesis. In order to meet the requirements for ABD/ABS in the Computation, Organizations and Society PhD program the student must:
- Meet all Star Unit requirements
- Meet all Elective requirements
- Meet 21 units of COS Seminar
- TA two courses
- Speaking requirement approved
- Writing requirement approved
- Programming requirement approved
- 4 semesters of residency requirement
- Proposal completed
Once a student meets the departmental criteria, All But Dissertation status must be approved by the department in writing to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please note: Students who go ABS must pay for the cost of 5 units of tuition when they return to defend their thesis.
The cost of the units can be found at the HUB website: http://www.cmu.edu/hub/tuition/graduate/scs.html
For specific details with regards to the University Doctoral Student Status Policy regarding ABD/ABS please visit this link: http://www.cmu.edu/policies/documents/ABD.html